Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Photo Excursion to Vermont Seeking Fall Foliage

FIRST - as to my search for Fall colors, I came up short. Emerson explains:


The shows of day, the dewy morning, the rainbow, mountains,
orchards in blossom, stars, moonlight, shadows in still
water, and the like, if too eagerly hunted, become shows merely, and
mock us with their unreality. Go out of the house to see the moon,
and 't is mere tinsel; it will not please as when its light shines upon
your necessary journey. The beauty that shimmers in the yellow
afternoons of October, who ever could clutch it? Go forth to find it,
and it is gone: 't is only a mirage as you look from the windows of
diligence.
 From Emerson, Nature

Yet - I'm happy to report that with the overall wide assortment of pictures I did take, my experience as a whole was very positive. Yes, the Fall colors were less than expected due to a dry summer, but I did manage to get a few nice shots of Autumn's colors. Yet, I'll say that the colors were only slightly better than what I could see here in Virginia. The pleasant surprise for me was that I managed to take some really nice photos of people and places.

Using a polarizing filter, helped me bring out the colors in this photo of a horse just after sunrise, and in the landscape photo just below it. Compare those two with the final photo below which I took here in Virginia, also with a polarizer. The Virginia colors are not as vivid.

Horse at sunrise using polarizing filter.
Polarizer used in this photo taken in northern Vermont.

Taken here at home, after I returned from Vermont.
If you would like to learn more about using a polarizer, see my blog post on the The 5 Essential Filters You Must Have in Your Camera Bag.

I hope you liked reading about this photo excursion. the lesson here is that you do not always get the pictures you hope for, however you might get some very good unexpected ones instead.  See the collection of Vermont pictures here.

Thanks for reading this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment